This is my husband’s new favorite dish, and I have to say, it’s one of mine too. Steaming the tempeh really makes a difference, to me at least, so I highly recommend you do so! The original recipe called for a gluten-free Chex cereal, but I didn’t see any rice cereal similar to it at Trader Joe’s, and I didn’t want to make a trip to another grocery store, so I got Barbara’s Multigrain Spoonfuls, and they work just fine for me! I am not gluten-free, but if you are, I’d suggest you get actual rice Chex cereal.
These are vegan and FANTASTIC over a Caesar salad (Which isn’t vegan unless you make a vegan version)! The first time I made them, I had some carrots I had to use up, so I chopped them and served them with the “tenders.” Celery and bleu cheese would be good, too!
-8 oz. tempeh, sliced and lightly steamed
-2 C Rice Chex (or crunchy gluten free cereal), divided
1 C buffalo sauce
-¼ tsp paprika
-1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
1. Place the steamed tempeh slices into a Ziploc bag with ½ cup buffalo sauce. Allow to marinate for 20 minutes.
2. Preheat oven to 375 degrees and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
3. In a food processor, blend 1 cup of the cereal so it becomes flour-like. With your hands, crush the remaining 1 cup so the cereal is in chunkier bits. Mix together. Add the paprika, cayenne, and a pinch of salt together in a shallow dish.
4. Dip the tempeh slices into cereal mix and coat on all sides. Place onto prepared baking sheet. Bake tempeh for 10 minutes.
5. Remove from the oven, and brush with the remaining ½ cup buffalo sauce on all sides. Bake for 1 more minute.